Thursday, October 14, 2010

James goes to Sydney "To Seek His Fortune"

This chapter took an unexpected turn from the introduction. We are set up, with the author beginning the chapter as if talking to a young child : "A long time ago, before you were born..." (MacDonald 7). We are introduced to James Piper and his parents. It is somewhat clear that James may be the protagonist/antagonist in this story. While we are introduced to James, he has not a positive or negative connotation to his name. I am not sure if he will end up being the hero or the villian in this story. There is also a lot of interesting imagery in this story, as James makes his way to Sydney. While I, as a reader, am fond of ample description, I almost felt like there was too much in this chapter  regarding the scenerey in Sydney. What I could appriciate though, is that it was written as if James was mentioning all the things he sees in order, and it created a sort of scattered yet interesting effect. the author used run on sentences to create an almost overwhelming, intoxicating effect.

The chapter contained an effective alliteration: "There were few people, but those he met were ready with a meal for a clean clear boy who sat so straight and asked for nothing" (MacDonald 8). In my opinion, alliterations don't often work well in "serious" writing, and often give a sort of Dr. Suess affect to the piece. however, this one drew my eye and was a pleasant surprise in the chapter.

Some aspects of this chapter really confused me, but I believe this was the author's intention. MacDonald makes a few comments that seem unexplained, or allude to something that may play an important role at a later time in the book. For instance "All he wanted at fifteen and a half was to hear his mother play the piano once more, but she was dead of a dead baby before he finished the job" (MacDonald 8). There was comments in the introduction concerning potential dead children. With this play a part in the book. I predict so.

The last line of the chapter also jumped out at me, as I think it really speaks to the kind of town James has found himself in, and the kind of life he with have prior to this chapter: "James was right. There were a lot of pianos in Sydney" (MacDonald 9).

Other lines that really spoke to me as a reader are:
-"Moss is the consolation of rocks, and fir trees don't begrudge a shallow soil but return a tenfold embrace of boughs to shelter the skinny earth that bore them" (MacDonald 8). After our lesson on pathetic fallacy, I noticed this line as a read the chapter.

-"English always felt plat and harsh, like daylight after night-fishing" (MacDonald 7) I love the East-coast feel of this book! Though I have never been to Cape Breton myself, I would very much like to visit. I feel like this book will make inclined to do so.

Overall, my opinion of this book is very high. The first chapter, only three pages, as well as all the reviews I have read for it are very positive. On a side note, I hope the chapters will continue to be short in length, as I enjoy reading and re-reading them so I can have something interesting to blog about.

Interesting Vocabulary:
-Proficient
-Congenial
-Clapboard
-Esplanade
-Wharfs

1 comment:

  1. Excellent blog entry. I love how you are noticing the literary devices and accepting them as significant (because they are!) Keep reading so closely ...

    ReplyDelete